Saturday, February 5, 2011

My Grandmother


My grandmother was one of the most wonderful people I've ever met. She loved her family more than anything. She was the perfect example of what a "lady" should be. I have always wanted to be a lady, because my grandmother and mother were so lady-like. She was soft spoken, never spoke ill of others, always primped and beautiful, slow-tempered, a loving mother.

My wonderful grandpa passed away of a form of dementia in 2001, just a year before Coleson was born. So none of my children were able to meet him, in this life. I remember the day we were sealed, my grandma leaned over and whispered in my ear, that she knew grandpa was there with us that day in the celestial room. He loved his family more than anything, and he always showed it.

Somehow, grandma came down with the same thing. It was strange since obviously they weren't blood relation. The past few years, it has been my parents' blessing to care for her as she quickly went down hill. I remember the last fluid conversation I had with her in April 2009. I was pregnant with Ethan and we were there in Utah for Becca's wedding. I remember leaving that conversation knowing that was the last time she would really know me. It was shortly after that she became "lost". She didn't know who even her own daughter was. That was a really, really tough thing for my mom. Although we talked and cried about it, I can't imagine how hard that must have really been for her.

Grandma finally passed away on January 23, 2011- a Sunday evening, with all of her daughters standing by her side. She was a very loved woman.
I will miss her very much. She was a wonderful grandmother and mother. She has been an amazing example to me of the kind of wife, mother, and daughter I would like to be.


This is a picture of a board I made to put up at her viewing. Becca and I decorated several tables with flowers and pictures of her 7 children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren. Coleson played the violin and I accompanied him on the piano as we played "Families Can Be Together Forever". The service was perfectly attended- enough to pay tribute to her, but small enough to be sentimental- the people she loved most. It was a beautiful service. I am so very, very thankful for our forever family.

No comments:

Post a Comment