Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Grandma Amelia

You know how you never really know when something bad is going to happen?  It seems like the worst things usually happen when you're not expecting it.
I was at the tire store today getting new tires put on.  I was in the middle of loading up the kids when my dad called.  I usually try to answer when he calls since he doesn't call that often.  But today he was calling to tell me that my grandma had passed away.  She fell 2 days ago at the nursing home and hurt her head and hip.  Then last night she fell again, but her body wasn't strong even to take another fall.  She passed away shortly after.
I had been expecting a call like that sometime.  I wasn't expecting it today.  But I knew when we had visited on Christmas Eve that that would be the last time I saw her.  I had a very strong feeling of it that day.  We had a nice visit.  I remember not wanting to say good-bye.
I went over this afternoon to be with grandpa.  When I got there he looked empty.  He said, "the love of my life is gone."  And although he didn't cry in front of me, in his eyes I could see his complete sadness.  He gave me a ring that he'd bought for grandma 30 years ago.  She worn the ring every day.  I never saw her without it.  He said she'd wanted me to have it.



No comments:

Post a Comment