Sunday, March 18, 2012

Puppies aren't angels

So it turns out puppies aren't angels.  They are adorable and snuggly and cute...for a little while.  Then they get bigger.  And more energetic.  Lots more energetic.  And potty training this puppy turned out to be harder than potty training some of my children have been.  And for one very sick pregnant mama it just turned out to be too much.  Jared had conceded to allow us to get a dog on the premise that I would do all the work (and then teach the kids and they would help, of course too).  But potty training was all me, because I was home all day.  And I tried so hard.  But I was so sick.  And our house was starting to take the damage.  And our puppy turned out to have some terrible disease that made her release gas that could've been bottled and used as a weapon of war (it smelled that bad).  And it never failed that she'd come curl up next to me (who was laying on the couch nauseous from morning/ all day sickness) and then she'd release it. Every. Single. Time.  She had lost favor with some of the little children because she was getting so energetic and big that she'd tackle them to the ground every time they played with her.  If I hadn't been so sick, I could've taught her better not to do that.  All of these things combined against us until it was just too much.  Our wonderful friends had told us that we could bring her back if it didn't work out.  I absolutely hated myself that I had to take them up on the offer.  I believe once you've committed to something- you find a way to make it work.  But I just couldn't do it anymore.  We returned Leia to the Hasek's house.  It only took her a little while to be happy to be there- they had kept one of her sisters and she must have recognized her.  Off she went.  We return often to visit Leia.  I feel so bad that the timing just wasn't right. 

No comments:

Post a Comment